So far in the book Sold by Patricia McCormick, thirteen-year old Lakshmi goes through many critical challenges that she manages to face. Her family barely has enough money to run the whole house, and the step-father gambles away all of the landlord's money. The step-father is a greedy, selfish man who doesn't pity anyone but himself.
The father buys himself new watches, a hat, and a vest when the family has no money for food, or an actual house with a tin roof. That's what poor Lakshmi wants. A tin roof. I honestly think Lakshmi's father is an unjust man. He considers daughters a goat. "A son will always be a son, they say. But a daughter is like a goat. Good as long as she gives you milk and butter. But not worth crying over when it's time to make stew."
A goat huh? Says the man who spends his time gambling away money that the family needs, the man who has a broken arm and can't get a job. He should at least try to find a job and not just sit there. I clearly don't like the step father.
I think that Lakshmi shouldn't be treated the way she is being treated right now. She needs to get some respect, and she does. From Ama. Ama helps Lakshmi through all her problems. When Lakshmi has her first blood, Ama told her what and what not to do. Ama supports Lakshmi through thick and thin.That's what I call a good mother. Men and women should be treated equally. There shouldn't be segregation between men and women.
The step-father considers women less worthy of men. I do not understand why...
Women work just as hard as men. Women have to go through double in the book than men. Men just like the step-father have time to relax when women don't, they work day and night when men don't. Some do, like the ones who have jobs in factories, unlike the step-father who sits around all day playing cards. You barely have money but desire to play cards and loose the bits you have? Fantastic.
Lakshmi brings the father tea everyday in the morning and rubs his feet during the night. Gross. I would never even look at that filthy man's feet let alone touch it, disgusting.
As the book goes on, it was time for Lakshmi to go out to the big city and send money back home. That's all the step-father wants, money. I think that the father really doesn't care about what happens to Lakshmi, whether she is alive or not. The step-father doesn't even show a bit of emotion as to when he sells his "daughter" to Bajai Sita.
"She needs a thrashing on occasion, but she is not lazy as some." The step-father says. I think this sentence should be referred to the step-father, not Lakshmi. Lakshmi is a really hard worker, she doesn't lack the ability to work unlike the father. -_-
These are some of he challenges Lakshmi faces, and why I think the father isn't a good person.
I like your blog post Dulaaa :) it actually feels like your like having a convo with me...
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Samantha she does.I also love how you told your opinion on Lakshmi and on her stepfather.You also have many examples and details,Loved it!!!
ReplyDeleteYour post was really good! It made me so angry when the book talked about girls being goats. I have nothing against goats but how can a person be compared like that?!?!
ReplyDelete