In the beginning of Sold,Patricia Mccormick strongly shows how women are viewed in
Lakshmi's country (Nepal,South Asia). Women are viewed more as animals then human
beings.I say women are viewed as dogs because Women do everything Men say.Men are
treated like goddess,in Nepal.Men and Women don't have equal rights and it disappoints me to see how in other parts of the world women are not treated equally as men.This part of the book shows me how the author is trying to a send a message,which is basically as I said before,Women are not treated equally as men.
One way I know women are not treated the same as men is,how men view women.For example,In the book (pg 8) when Lakshmi's stepfather says "A son will always be a son a girl is like a goat,good as long as she gives you milk and butter",this proves that women are viewed as animals.Also this quote shows how Men only think that Women are useful for giving them what they want.Also it shows how having a son is better than having a daughter.What really get's me thinking is what Ama thinks (pg 8) .She thinks they should be lucky they have a man at all.When I think it should be the other way, because Ama does so much for Lakshmi's stepfather.She cleans,cooks,and takes care the children.What does he do? he gambles the money they earn,he doesn't work and he barley has time to spend time with his family.
Another way I know women are not treated the same way as men is,how women view men.For example,when Ama says (pg 15) "Once you are married you must eat your meal only after your husband has had his fill then you may eat what remains"by this point I'm just like wow this is the way women have to live.What if the husband finishes it all? then what do you eat?Just let your stomach grumble? it's not right for women to wait,they should have food just as much as men do.Another quote that just get's me speechless is when Ama says (pg 16) "Simply to endure,is to triumph",shes basically saying simply to suffer is to succeed.This is way women think they should live.It shocks me to think that there are many women like Ama who think the exact same way.
This part of the story really makes me appreciate that I live in the U.S.,to have rights and not have to live the way Lakshmi does.This teaches me something about the world,something that I hope will change soon.All those women suffering and starving out in the world because of this problem.I just hope that someday this changes,that Women get equally treated as Men,and that men start to respect women.I know this is a worldwide problem not just in South Asia but other parts of the world and hopefully this conflict gets resolved soon.
I love how you said "Women are viewed more as animals than human." I totally agree Michelle. You did a great job on expanding your thoughts and showing how men and women are different!
ReplyDeleteI think your post is a great one. I definitely side with you on how men are treated like they are gods while women are their little animals by their sides. It's totally unfair how men are on a higher status than women. On the other hand, I can see why women are treated like this. Maybe it's their religion to treat their "man" better. You know how in the book , when Lakshmi asks Ama why must women suffer. She replies,"This has always been our fate, Simply to endure is to triumph. You see maybe they have to be like this or else they are treated as an outcast in their village. :(
ReplyDeleteI really liked the way you put the relationship between men and women- how women are like animals and men are gods. It's pretty much true! And I liked how you weren't disrespectful to the culture but what you said was backed up with quotes literally proving women are treated like animals. I agree it's unfair when the woman does most of the work. It makes me feel lucky to be in the U.S too- that I'm not looked as an animal that will hopefully give you a son!
ReplyDelete