I think that Sold is a great reading but I read and noticed something that caught my eye. That was that The Stepfather pressures and forces Ama and Lakshmi to do things that they don't want to do. I also think that Ama is a helpless woman who doesn't have much so she just settles for the worst because she has to. I feel like this is an issue.
When Lakshmi finds her mom crying and says" What is it Ama?" & Ama says "Your Stepfather says you must go to the city and earn money as a maid". This proves to me that Ama says that beause she feels forced, like if she has to send Lakshmi because she has to. I also find it weird because in the beginning Ama tells Lakshmi that she can't go to the city because she must stay and go to school but all of a sudden she says yes, because the Stepfather says to. Another part of the story that i found disterbing was when I heard that Lakshmi rubs his feet. That seems so nasty and creepy because I would never imagine doing this to my a person. Another thing that got me mad was when Ama was telling Lakshmi what she has to do to her husband and stuff doesn't sound fun or far to the women. This book deals a lot with sexism.
This topic relates a lot to the world now because this my not happen as much now but it still goes on and its not far to us women. And our freedom and the justification and respect that a woman should have is clearly not put in this book. And its sickening how women are and were treated during this time period.
i totally agree with you and think that ama was forced to make that decision
ReplyDelete