After finishing "Sold" by Patricia McCormick, there was one line that stood out to me.
On page 234, Shilpa says,"You actually believe what she tells you?"
This line stood out because it reminded me of the many times Lakshmi believed people and she got harmed instead. For example on page 249, Lakshmi has no idea on whether to believe this strange looking American. "I shut my eyes tight. I don't know what to believe. I believed that the stranger in the yellow cloud dress was taking me to the city to work as a maid. I believed that Uncle Husband would protect me from the bad city people. I believed that if I worked hard enough here at Happiness House, I could pay down my debt. And I believed it was all worth it for the sake of my family. I am too afraid to believe him" She have been to innocent and trusted whoever that came to her side. And when she realized that there was nobody she could trust in the city, she lost her sanity. She wants to believe this American, to bring her to a clean pace, but what's holding her back? The others who has disappointed her, or shall I say, used her. They used her for riches- money. The stranger in the yellow cloud dress- Auntie Bimla was working for Mumtaz, her Uncle Husband brought her to this Happiness House. She only wonders if she believes again, she will end up in another Brothel or a place worse than her current home.
This stood out to me because this happens to everybody. For example, sometimes your parents would lie to your younger siblings and whatever they promised them, they wouldn't do. I know this is kind of like young, but you can also relate it the real world. Politicians say they are going to do this and that, but when they come into office, they don't do what you voted for them to do. Lakshmi, the voters , and everybody else can relate. Everybody basically has been lied to and disappointed.
Everybody basically has been lied to and disappointed. This is the process of life. Later on in the story, at the end, Lakshmi finds her path and she goes to the American to have a better life. Everyone will be lied to and will be told bad news, but also some how they will find the one person they have faith in and they will be alright.
Hi Nancy! I also think Lakshmi has lost her trust for adults much like the way Ishmael Beah did when he was a child soldier....I remember him saying that he believed that the military would protect him--but when he realized that wasn't true he lost his trust for adults.
ReplyDeleteHowever at the end of your post you write, "Everyone will be lied to and will be told bad news, but also some how they will find the one person they have faith in and they will be alright." But I disagree. Is everyone "alright" in the end? I mean, yes Lakshmi was right to have gone with the Americans but I think it will take a long time for her to recover just like how Ishmael Beah had to--and I don't think recovering from such a thing is as easy as it might seem. I think she will try her hardest to leave behind such horrible memories but deep down they will always be there.
This line also stood out to me,it's true Lakshmi has believed people and instead she ends up suffering.I agree sometimes at the end things turn alright but not everything has a happy ending.I loved your post and all the details and examples you put it in, nice job!
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your idea. I was thinking the same thing about Lakshmi. Lakshmi did not have a choice, but take some risks, and they did not really work out. She has had some bad luck wiht trust. I think you supported your idea really well :)
ReplyDelete