Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Abandoned

I am currently reading "Sold" by Patricia McCormick, Lakshmi the girl who is a leader. Loves her family and is willing to help and even to go to the city to work as a so called "maid". Unfortunately she has been sold into prostitution in a brothel called the Happiness House. After experiencing how its like in there she has been completely brainwashed she's forgotten her old life .The only thing holding her back is Mumtaz, she's holding her back from going home with her family.

 Lakshmi is in a completely different country and was lead there by a stranger through several trains,cars and buses. Lakshmi tries to escape after she got raped by her first guy but she couldn't because she got caught trying by Mumtaz. A excerpt from the book that proves that is  what Mumtaz said to her "Leaving," I say. "I'm going home." Mumtaz laughs. "Home? she says. "And how would you get there?" she brainwashed and has lost herself completely .How would you feel if you were left in a house with strangers in a different country far away from home?  I would feel sad and depressed and even lonely. Who can you tust ? She's young, alone, far away, lost and completely brain washed.

 I find this so fucked up that her stepfather knew what he was selling her into. He should at least told her what she was going to end up doing. I would feel betrayed if i was her .  Her stepfather abandoned her just for money. Who does that ? I cant imagine how it feels to be abandoned completely especially far away from what you so called call home. This sad and disappointing of how the real world is really like.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. Her stepfather had no right to do that! From the beginning, he was a sketchy and untrustworthy character. This proves it even more. I am not entirely sure whether or not he knew, but even if he didn't he should of looked into what he doing a little more. I mean, if I had a daughter and was selling her for money (I don't know what kind of situation would lead me to that, but let's just go with it), I would have really researched where she would be and everything first. Just to be careful.

    ReplyDelete