Would you rather not do something but always wonder or do it and end up with regret?
Continuing from my last post, Lakshmi left her home to go work as a maid in the city. After she arrived at her final "destination" though , a brothel in India, and having some more than unpleasant experiences, she realizes that she had been sold into prostitution. Now she must face her new "life" of working to pay off the money her "owner" had paid for her (or more of paid to buy her) as well as keep herself sane (in my opinion since if it were me I'd already be crazy and extremely depressed).
Lakshmi is a very selfless person and I admire that of her but would it be right to say that sometimes being selfless can cost more than one may think? Its true that like many other girls in that brothel, Lakshmi did not know about where she was actually sold and that I think brings on a very big question that the majority of people on this planet face-should we not take a risk and be left to forever wonder, or take the risk and with it, the possibility of eternal regret? I am one with no answer since for me, I just do what I think would be good for the long and short term but what if things, like in the story, may not be what it seems? It makes sense that Lakshmi would want to go and work. Her best friend did it and the family of her friend is thriving so it should seem right that it would be a good way to be the "breadwinner", being a maid. But what if, just perhaps things won't turn out the same. Should she have considered that? Should that risk even if it seems there is none, be thought about?
Its hard, making these types of decisions, ones that could affect ones life, especially when it comes in a mental effect. The truth though is that either way you could regret. Wondering for the rest of ones life is just a more subtle form of regret, compared to the one of the taken risk which is obvious but no matter, it is still there. If I were Lakshmi, even after I have read this truth of her selling, I would still go. It may seem strange, "Why would I want to go through what Lakshmi's going through???" and I don't, but that is not the reason. If I were her I would still go for I would know that I had even how slight, helped my mother and baby brother instead of sitting there for the rest of my years, thinking, "I wonder if our lives would be better if I had gone..". We learn from our mistakes, and yes, sometimes the "mistake" can cost A LOT, sometimes even life, but even so, at least one would die knowing they had done what they had wanted at a point and not die some other way in an infinite regret of not doing it. I'm not saying to go and jump off a building saying "I believed I could fly" but if that person made wings and jumped but still fell, at least they would fall knowing that they were still somewhat flying and that they were not afraid to fall.
Knowing that a lot of girls who are actually sold into prostitution probably didn't know and had been sold for seemingly other reasons, I truly hope that no matter how much suffering they are going through, they can hold onto the fact that they were brave enough to take a risk and no one can ever take that bravery away from them. Every person that has ever taken a risk, whether the outcome is good or bad has a bravery that no one can take. I wish I had that bravery, and I'll admit it, I don't. I don't always take big risks and perhaps that's why I haven't gotten very far but that's why I admire Lakshmi and the fact that she DID.
Its a 50 50 chance (if we have to get really technical), the good or bad, but problems can be solved, missed opportunities can't. You never know, so why not take a risk so we do. Then, if you think about it in a really long term and deep way, perhaps the realization of regret if it does hit, won't sting as much.
I really enjoyed reading your blog! I totally agree with you on your ideas on the decisions Lakshmi made. You expressed your opinions on what you thought, and you connected it to yourself and I truly feel your post is amazing!!!! GREAT WORK!
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you gave a summary of the parts we were suppose to read , which then you relate to the yourself and the real world. I can see why, if you were in Lakshmi's shoes, you would be willing to continue on doing the "thing". Sometimes it takes bravery to get past and go in the future, which holds the bad and good.
ReplyDeleteAmazing post!! You describe how brave Lakshmi is while also defining brave--taking risks and not afraid to fail. I have always thought about how much I admired Lakshmi--because of how brave she is and the risks she is willing to take. She is special because as you mentioned--she has an incredible "power" that no one can take away from her.
ReplyDelete