Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Way To Be Degraded

"Sold" by Patricia McCormick is so far very intriguing. The book has told me a lot about the world that I wouldn't have imagined before. Adults are the people who give great influences in life and children can turn to them for help/guidance. But the influences around Lakshmi are absolutely disgusting, especially with Mumtaz, the cruel, old women who gives negative ones.

Uncle-Husband has sold Lakshmi into Mumtaz's hands to become a prostitute, and she treats her with great disrespect and Lakshmi tolerates it. Usually children like Lakshmi are the ones to disrespect adults, but in this case its the other way around (I am not one of these children to disrespect adults, but still). Lakshmi is a kind and generous person who cares about others more than herself, for example her family. She wants to help them through all their problems even if that means that she has to tie a waist cloth tight to her stomach, in order for her to pretend that her stomach is full. In my opinion I feel as if Mumtaz should be a role model for Lakshmi instead of being irresponsible and telling Lakshmi to do these hideous things such as being with older men twice her age. Lakshmi should be able to turn to Mumtaz and tell her all the things that is going on in her life however, it's not like that. I think that IF Lakshmi tries to tell her problems to Mumtaz, she will probably spit on her face and send her away or beat her.

Mumtaz is a liar. I hate liars. She payed ten-thousand rupees for Lakshmi and says that she payed twenty-thousand. That's just wrong. Shes just trying to hold Lakshmi back from going home and make her stay in the business of prostitution. As I read the book, I was asking myself that if I were in Lakshmi's shoes what would I have done? Well I wouldn't try to run away because that would make matters worse, and Mumtaz clearly says "Try to escape with that head of hair, they'll bring you right back here." I guess I wouldn't have had an option, but I would truly hate the way I was being treated by the old men and Mumtaz. I would rather live with my family and stick with having an empty stomach than doing this business. Mumtaz humiliates Lakshmi in front of others and puts her down in every way possible. I wish this harassment stops soon because if I were Lakshmi I wouldn't want that to happen, not even in my nightmares.

I admit, I almost cried as a read through the chapters of the book. I honestly feel that without my mother I wouldn't be able to live, I mean I will but something in my life will be missing. But Lakshmi, the strong girl she is, can. I admire that about her. It's very heart breaking and no one deserves to be treated that way. I definitely think that Lakshmi shouldn't be around Mumtaz because she will learn her ways instead of being the kind and generous girl she is now. Her influence in my opinion will be harmed by Mumtaz's behavior, including other people such as the dirty men in the book.

I really wanted to read more then I was expected to because I wanted to know more about Lakshmi and her challenges she has to face, but I had to resist myself in doing so. ☺

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Dula,Mumtaz is a very bad influence on Lakshmi and Mumtaz is such a cruel person letting all those girls suffer especially Lakshmi like you said she's such a caring person she doesn't deserve this.Loved you blogpost!:)

    ReplyDelete