Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Mentor of Strength

In the book Sold by Patricia McCormick, the main character is a poor girl named Lakshmi. Lakshmi is unfortunately sent from her poor but hopeful home to work in a wealthy city far away. Lakshmi's mother, Ama, is a very strong woman who makes up for all the faults that Lakshmi's greedy stepfather has. Ama is a very good influence for Lakshmi. All people need someone to look up to, and Lakshmi is very lucky to have Ama. Lakshmi is scared and unsure of herself when she is sent to the city. However, she remembers her Ama's strength and wisdom. 

Lakshmi says early on, "In the morning, Ama bends down to stir the kitchen fire and to plait my hair before I go to school. All day, as she trudges up and down the mountain, a heavy basket braced on her back and held fast by a rope around her brow, she is bent under the weight of her burden." This quote show that Ama is both physically and emotionally strong enough to go through this every day, while her husband lazily gambles. Ama must bear the burden of doing all of the work around the house. Ama must be very stressed and tired, but she doesn't show it. This shows Lakshmi Ama's strength. Lakshmi admires Ama for this.

Ama is also strong because she is practical. When her husband says that Lakshmi must be sold to work in the city, Ama is very, very sad. However, she is not naive. Ama knows that to support her family, Lakshmi must be brave and go to the city. Lakshmi can learn how sometimes you have to make sacrifices and be brave so that you will support your family.

Having a mentor is very important.When people have someone to look up to, they feel safer and more secure. Teenagers especially need a lot of guidance, so it definitely makes them feel more confident when they have someone to look up to. When I can look up to my older cousins and other mentors, I feel like no matter what I do, I have someone's example to follow when I need to. I hope that one day, Lakshmi and I will both be mentors for other people too, so we can pass on Ama's strength and wisdom.

3 comments:

  1. Talia, I really liked this blog post. You had a clear idea that you supported through the whole post. At the end, I love how you made a connection to the world. You also made a conncetion to yourself. This post was great!-Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post. I can easily tell what you focus is and I agree with how Ama is like a mentor to Lakshmi. She(Ama) does a lot for Lakshmi and to relate to the rel world, we don't real recognize what our parents do for us (or our role models do for us).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, the focus was obvious because it stood out to me, the reader, immediately because it was right there in the intro.
    I agree with everything you said about needing a mentor, and it's true because we all really need someone to look up to and be able to learn things about life from.

    ReplyDelete