Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Biased Scale.

As I started reading this book ("Sold" by Patricia McCormick) I noticed the big gap between the status of women and men in Nepal. In fact it made me think a lot about the inequality of men and women in many countries. For example, whenever the husband of a woman came, she would have to kneel and touch her eyebrow to his feet. It got me extremely angry reading about this difference in the balance of gender. What does having to touch your head to your husband's foot mean? What does kneeling (as quoted from the book) when you give him a meal mean? Actually, its not even the meaning that makes me angry but the overall truth that does- that women in some countries are considered lower in status than men.

I have heard of many countries where gender actually matters.Where having a daughter and having a son actually makes a difference. I personally think that it is very cruel to have favorites based on gender and that there is no true reason to be. Why should males get to go about freely while females must keep their heads down? Why can't wives stand up to their husbands? Its unfair and definitely not right but yet, it is still happening. In the past (ex. ancient times) there has been quite an obvious difference but after so many years this set of thinking is still going on. Its wrong. So wrong that it is to the point of ridiculousness and it shouldn't be tolerable yet the women still have to tolerate it. The even more unfortunate fact is that not much can be done to change this way of thinking except for perhaps making the world see the issue and hoping for change.

Its horrible to think that if one was living in one of those countries and born a girl, they would know that people would see them as less important. I truly hope that they wouldn't see themselves as less important but its hard to tell if everyone told them they were. It makes me wonder what some of them go through and why men in those countries don't see the problem. Don't husbands care about their wives? Don't fathers love their daughters? I know that I wouldn't be able to stand it if my father didn't care about me and I don't think I will ever understand why people choose to see the way they do if things could be so much better without this set of thinking. Why can't some see that control does not equal happiness? In many of my blogs I say that things tend to be alright but for this one I do not think that. People will continue being this unfair if nothing is done but the problem is that I don't even know what I can do. What can I do to change this issue that has been going on so long? All I can do right now is write about how I think it is wrong but hopefully people who have a greater ability to take action will take it. I wish greatly that this will one day be solved but I"m not sure whether it will be. All I can do is hope it will and hope that those women believe it too.

Hope is important and so is believing and maybe those two things can help balance out this biased scale.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you how in some parts of the world, men are on a higher status than women. I mean how come men have complete control over their "woman", while women are just treated like slaves or the husband's maid. For example, in the book, Lakshmi's stepfather says,"A girl is like a goat," her stepfather says. "Good as long as she gives you milk and butter. But not worth crying over when it's time to make stew." He is like saying she has no value, she is nothing in his heart. I think this is really cruel for the women because they have very little value to their husbands/fathers. They are another mouth to feed in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also agree with you Nancy, when I was reading and I stoped at this line. It got me mad how men think of women as a goat. Im not a goat -_- so no. I dont like the stepfather. I think he is the one that will "sell" Lakshmi........

      Delete
  2. Bridget, I strongly agree with your response. Gender shouldn't matter, and yes all over the world separation like this has taken place. Women are considered not as worthy as men. :( I truly feel this shouldn't be tolerated. Men and women should be treated the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote about the same topic to! and I agree.Women shouldn't be treated like this but sadly this is happening all around the world.Hopefully this situation ends soon.I really like how you add your opinion almost in every paragraph,and you add some much details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bridget! I wrote about a similar topic. Unfortunately, in this situation, it seems like women don't have enough power to change things. The men have all the power. If the women wanted to change their lives, they would have to convince their husbands to help them. But their husbands might like their power too much to sacrifice it. This is a bad situation. :(

    ReplyDelete