In our book club, we're reading Sold by Patricia McCormick. So far, I see this as a very powerful and controversial plot line, even though we've only read a little of the book. But so far, I'm seeing a trend in this book, and that is Lakshmi's internal conflict. Obviously, a main external conflict in the story so far is seeing how poor and lacking Lakshmi's family is, and how deep in poverty they are. Poverty is an issue around the world, in every continent, country, or city. Poverty is a big issue in this family so far. But I've also began to see a different conflict taking place in Lakshmi's thoughts, and that is her questioning if she is good enough or if she provides enough for her family's well-being. I think this problem of doubt really is a big issue that is eating away at Lakshmi.
One example I see of this big issue is when Lakshmi treats her cucumbers. At first, that might seem strange, but it's true. I think Lakshmi takes such good care of the things she makes and the things that profit to her family because she cares so much and wants to get the most possible money she can from them. To me, she finds pride in such a small thing such as taking care of cucumbers that could be sold. This is a large example of Lakshmi trying to prove herself and what she's capable of to her family. Also, in the very beginning of the story, she points out how badly she wants a tin roof and what she would do for one. She never mentions it to her mother in worry of sounding too demanding or in fear of making it sound like a complaint, but instead she ponders how a tin roof would look and sound and feel, and what she would do for one.
Also, I am always fascinated when I read how badly Lakshmi is dying to go to the city. Many times throughout this small portion of the book, she has asked her Mother if she can go to send money back to the family, thus again trying her hardest to support them and have importance in the family. But when I read Lakshmi begging to be able to move away from her family and into a big city, I really put myself in her shoes. When I went to camp for the first time, it was only for two weeks, yet for the first couple of days I felt stranded. I did not know anybody, did not know exactly where I was, and everything was new; food, beds, people, surroundings, just like Lakshmi. After a couple of lonely days, I found some friends and began to enjoy camp, but I keep on thinking back to that first day. I kept thinking: this will be over soon enough, and I'll be able to return home. This is a thought Lakshmi could never comfort herself with. She had no idea when she would be returning home. This makes me appreciate Lakshmi even more, knowing what far lengths she would go to to send money home for her family and ultimately make them proud of her.
Well Eve, I agree with you because all Lakshmi really has is her cucumbers. Because that's all she has, she has to cherish every little thing she has because it's absolutely all she has in the world. If all we had was some cucumbers then we'd be loving them as much as we can, and we can really see that Lakshmi only has these and loves them, names them, and plays with them, like they're her babies.
ReplyDeleteEve, you pointed out something I didn't think about deeply with the cucumbers. I also thoughtn it was great how you wrote about how Lakshmi really wants to go to the city...I did not think about that deeply either. this was such a good post!!!!! I also love in the begginning how you were talking about the two different conflicts! <3 Syd
ReplyDeleteGood job! And while I see what you're saying, and I think it's right, you have to take into account that maybe she doesn't really have a home. I have never been to camp, so I'm kind of going out on a limb here, but there wasn't really a home to miss. Her stepfather was rarely there, her brother was always crying and needing things, and Ama is always working or needing help or tired. It really is quite depressing. While you were only stranded at camp for a few days, I think that is how Lakshmi feels all the time. I don't doubt that she loves her Ama and her village and her brother and cucumbers, etc. But I don't think Lakshmi truly has a "home" to miss.
Delete