Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Truth Is Less Hurtfull Than Lies!!!

After my last post on Sold by Patricia McCormick a lot has happened. Lakshmi was sent from her poor home to “Happiness House”. It’s not what it sounds like. I think Lakshmi is going to change by the end of the book. I think she will become a stronger person because now she is out of her little village and she sees what people have to do to survive.
I think she will change for the better.  Lakshmi is a very helpless innocent little girl, when she found out that she was actually sold for prostitution she was very upset and she would eat or drink for more than five days. She says she will not do a disgrace like that. In a way the fact that Lakshmi is put through a hard time like the “child soldiers” from class and they both will suffer later on in life.  I can infer that the trauma is starting because on page 137 all the girls were watching the American show, the couple was kissing. Lakshmi says “How can they eat and laugh and carry on as normal when soon the men will come is so perplexing that, while they laugh, I fight back tears.” I felt so bad for her. She was so happy that she was going to work as a maid for her mistress and she would be able to give Ama, the baby and get the tin roof they wanted. And she even thought about getting a vest for her stepfather.
This teaches me that change can come if you fight it or not. She tried but unfountalty she was drugged with a cup a lassi and that how she was able to be with a customer. I hate how Lakshmi was being brain washed into this. But I think at the same time it was better for her because if she would have known then she would have gone but it would have been worse. But now that shes there she has to stay there to pay off her debt and ever see Ama and her baby brother… because I doubt that she would want to see her stepfather again.

No comments:

Post a Comment