Tuesday, October 30, 2012

"My name is Lakshmi, I am from Nepal, I am fourteen years old"

I recently finished "Sold" by Patricia McCormick. I learned many things from this book that wouldn't be taught in schools, and I am thankful that I know this now. Many people in this world including myself has only thought about themselves and getting their work done so they can be free and do what they wish too. But as I read the book, I took caution on what goes around in the world and not only think about myself  and what I have to get done but think about others as well.

Lakshmi, is a very brave girl because she bares with the harassment she gets by her owner Mumtaz, and the filthy men. Lakshmi was mainly focused on getting out of the "Happiness House" and going back to her mother. She even said "I will be with them all. Any man, every man. I will become Monica. I will do whatever it takes to get out of here." Mumtaz said once Lakshmi pays back her debt she will be able to go home. But she expands the expenses everyday for things such as light, food, TV, medicine, music, fan and any other comfort Lakshmi and the girls have. She does this so Lakshmi would never have to go home. I have eyes full of fire for Mumtaz. She is an adult, she should know right from wrong. I feel Lakshmi doesn't have a single bit of comfort in that "Happiness House" so she doesn't have to pay for anything. Not even the 20,000 rupees.

Lakshmi was collecting money like there was no tomorrow! She got 50 rupees from a deformed man, 20 from a drunken customer who fell asleep, and 10 rupees from a daily customer who made her do nasty things. I would never have imagined my life as being like this if I were Lakshmi. I would question myself everyday.

Is the money I am making going to my family?
Should I stop whatever I am doing?
Is this the right thing to do in order for me to go back to my family?
Is there anyone who cares about me for me instead of the things I do to men?
How long till I am back home with my mother?

Lakshmi experienced many power outages in the house and everything was still and silent.

"It feels like the end of the world. If only it were." This quote caught my eye and got me thinking a lot. It stood out to me because Lakshmi is here, by herself wishing the world would end. She doesn't  want to be here working as a sex slave. She wants to be with her mother. She wants to be happy. Usually people don't want the world to end unless something is really bothering them, or they are not pleased with their life, and in this case it suits Lakshmi.

Lakshmi is finally rescued by an american man and women at the end of the book. When the american man asked her before what her name was, she wouldn't answer, when he asked how old she was, she wouldn't answer, or when he asked where she was from, she wouldn't answer. When the american man and the lady came for Lakshmi, she finally had the courage to say "My name is Lakshmi, I am from Nepal, I am fourteen years old." ☺☻☺





3 comments:

  1. I loved how you included the questions also I notice how you began the quote and ended with the quote so that the reader can refer back to the quote.Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post. I agree that Lakshmi had a lot of courage to scream those words out.She knows it would cost her a ton with Mumtaz but it was for the better. She's doing the right thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dula!
    I really loved that you used as many quotes as you could because I thought that really strengthened your post by bouncing Lakshmi's feelings off of your feelings and right into what she said in the text.

    ReplyDelete